The Board of Directors of the DSCA met on November 18, 2010 and took the following action:
- The Board received another update on the recently initiated website for DSCA and its evolution toward being a major vehicle of communication for DSCA members. Once again, the Board expressed its gratitude for all the effort and time Don Fitts and Alderman Oaks has put into getting the website off the ground.
- Merle Chorba, Vice Chair and Membership Chair reported that of the 36 Associations in DSCA, 24 have answered the request to bring their dues and membership up-to-date. The Board also acted to make the membership year effective on a calendar basis. Merle will work with Associations that have most recently paid their dues.
- Upon the suggestion of Barbara Campo, an active resident of downtown and chair of DSCA’s Subcommittee on Greenspace, the Board took action to initiate an all residents meeting to be held every other month. Barbara will be getting information out to all Members and residents.
- In the meantime, the Board approved, at Peter Fanning’s request, that DSCA seek a co-sponsored meeting with the Downtown Sarasota Alliance (DSA) for all residents of downtown to explain the proposals being set forth for Selby Five Points Park. The DSA at its recent Board meeting agreed to co-sponsor a presentation by former City Commissioner Ken Shelin on December 6. More information as to time and place will soon follow.
- The Board also received a report on the efforts of the DID and DSA to decorate the electric poles downtown with new LED lights. (See News Story that follows re: DID/DSA Wants New Lights Downtown).
- The Board received an update on the efforts of a number of Associations along Palm Avenue and their efforts to initiate an Overlay District from Ringling to Mound along both sides of S. Palm Ave with certain exclusions. The City Commission approved the request by these associations known as the Coalition of Bayfront Citizens at its November 15 meeting.