The Downtown Sarasota Condominium Association (DSCA) is a non-profit membership organization made up of condominium associations in greater downtown Sarasota. The DSCA is member-funded, operating under U.S. IRS classification as a 501(c)(4) – social welfare organization. The primary membership of DSCA are the condominium associations which subscribe to the purposes of DSCA. The DSCA also allows for non-voting associate memberships for any institution, association, business or individual who subscribes to the purposes of DSCA. All membership applications are submitted for approval by the DSCA Board of Directors.
In 2005, the Bayfront Condominium Association Inc., which was incorporated in the State of Florida in 1998, adopted Articles of Incorporation to establish the name of Downtown Sarasota Condominium Association under which to conduct the Association’s business. The name change more accurately reflects its membership and the wider geographic area that comprises the interests of residents for a vibrant and safe downtown.
DSCA’s 29 member condos account for over 70% (2,257) of total condo units (3,217) in downtown Sarasota, and over 75% ($1.04B) of total taxable property value ($1.38B) of all downtown condos (based on 2014 tax appraisals).
The mission of DSCA is to actively advocate for the collective interests of its members. In doing so, it will seek to identify important community issues that will enhance the lives of the residents and property values of its member condominiums and townhouse associations. [Revised: 2020-11-04]
The purposes for which DSCA is organized are as follows:
- To encourage beautification of the Downtown Sarasota area and of member condominiums and townhouses and to provide input and promote the preservation and maintenance of the Downtown Sarasota community including its marine and upland parks and open spaces.
- To provide input on matters relating to land use, zoning, traffic planning and control, pedestrian mobility, parking and safety or other issues that affect the Downtown Sarasota community.
- To work in cooperation with local law enforcement agencies on crime control, motor vehicle, boating and pedestrian safety issues in Downtown Sarasota.
- To promote the collective interests of its membership with regard to proposed state legislation, county or city ordinances or actions of governmental agencies that affect the Downtown Sarasota community.
- To initiate or participate in activities such as community surveys, traffic studies, fund raising, community and cultural events, and such other pursuits that the Board of Directors may have determined will enhance the experience of living in Downtown Sarasota.
The DSCA seeks the continued support of its members as it pursues an active agenda to make sure the voices of its members are heard. The ongoing goals of DSCA were updated in November 2020 and are summarized below. Download the document here: DSCA Mission-Goals-Actions-20201104.
GOAL #1: Build alliances with organizations that have missions to improve the experience of living downtown. [Executive Committee]
Goal #2: Identify and promote efforts to address and potentially reduce the impact of homelessness on downtown Sarasota. [Homeless Committee]
GOAL #3: Monitor and promote the appropriate use of green space and shade trees for improved walkability in greater downtown Sarasota. [Greenspace Committee]
GOAL #4: Support transportation projects and programs that enhance the life and safety of downtown Sarasota residents. [Transportation Committee]
Goal #5: Monitor and disseminate information in the public interest regarding the health and safety of downtown residents. [Health & Safety Committee]
GOAL #6: Monitor and make recommendations on zoning and development issues in the downtown. [Zoning Code Committee]
Goal #7 – Evaluate and manage the role of Associate Membership in relation to the DSCA. Organize events supporting the DSCA mission. [Associate and Event Committee]