Life Planning and Aging in the Right Place
Wednesday, November 18, 2015
Hyatt Regency Sarasota
This Forum provided insights by area experts, followed by a panel discussion, on topics related to how we can stay healthy, active, and engaged in Optimal Aging. Interrelated issues of aging in place and community engagement were addressed as well as solutions to issues affecting our age-friendly community. Condo board members and property managers heard about issues, guidelines, and laws related to accomodating residents who are aging in condos.
Many Local Service Providers were on-hand to discuss attendee’s Key Questions.
Click Here for photos taken at the event.
Click Here for short video summarizing the event.
Click Here for the podcast of interviews with John McCarthy of SCOPE, Dr. Kathy Black of Age-Friendly Sarasota, and Patrick Gannon of the DSCA.
[click on each speaker’s Name/Topic link below to view their presentation]
- John McCarthy, SCOPE, Executive Director, Topic: An Overview of Vital Factors Influencing Our Aging Population
- Kathy Black, Ph.D., Age-Friendly Sarasota, Professor of Social Work and Gerontology at USF Sarasota-Manatee, Topic: The Role of Age- Friendly Sarasota in Optimal Aging and Life Planning
- Tom Barwin, Sarasota City Manager, Topic: Key City Initiatives that Will Affect Optimal Aging in Sarasota
12:30 pm Buffet Lunch, Sponsor Displays
1:15 pm Segment 2 Presentations
- Greg Hall, Hall Architects, Topic: The Relationship of Universal Design and Other Services to Optimal Aging in Place
- David Sylvester, Pines of Sarasota (CEO) [Bette Zaret] Topic: Current Trends and Important Issues Concerning Options in Community Living
- Ellen Hirsch de Haan, Atty. Wetherington Hamilton, Topic: The Law as it Relates to Aging in Condominiums and Cluster Developments